Sunday, January 11, 2009

Carry it with Confidence

Hello. For those of you that have been anxiously awaiting I am ready to share again. I'm not a fan of writing random blogs (not that it is bad) just not my thing. So that is why I have been waiting. I want to tell you all why I chose the name "Bearing the Armor." I believe all of you were there for Dave's sermon which was awesome. (you're my boy dave) SO that's obiously where I initially got the idea. However, I kinda took it a diff direction. The armor bearer's attitude was the biggest part of the story to me. His entire job is to serve royalty. I like to picture Jonathan as one of those "princes" who is really nice to all his servants and helpers so i think him and his armor bearer were probably friends. I kinda feel like they had to have been. This kid (the picture in my head is a teenager) trusted Jonathan with all his heart. A little recap: Jonathan was Saul's son and the two of them and 3000 men were hiding in caves from a much larger Philistine force. After waiting for a while jonathan decided to confront the Philistines. He told his Armor bearer that the two of them were going out of the cave. The armor bearer said, "Do all that is in your heart. Do as you wish. Behold, I am with you heart and soul." That is devotion. The concept of what Jonathan was suggesting could have easily been considered suicidal. The number of Philistines was incredible. And yet, the armor bearer vowed to follow him through any obstacle. They went out and, with God on their side, defeated about 20 men which caused the rest of the army to surrender in fear. But, while that's amazing, there are more inspiring aspects. First, Jonathan trusted God to keep His word and protect them. And then, the armor bearer's trust and devotion in Jonathan. On a daily basis, I walk into a battle. Good vs. Evil. Sometimes it is an outer battle with evil people or ideas. But most of the time its a battle within. A constant tug-o-war with the devil who appeals to my sinful nature against Christ in me. However, I am not the warrior in this daily battle. I simply do my best to bear the Armor of God. While He defends me and gives me strength to contribute to the fight, I take up his armor and fight for His glory. So, in the story, I truly admire the armor bearer's trust in Jonathan and I hope to reach for that level of trust in God and be able to charge after the enemy with the full belief that I will win every single time. Are you the warrior in this story? or the armor bearer? Find your place as a part of God's army. You may lose a battle here and there, we are human, imperfect, our trust falters. But I promise you'll win the war. More to come.....to be continued. God Bless.

13Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to
withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. 14Stand
therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the
breastplate of righteousness, 15and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the
readiness given by the gospel of peace. 16In all circumstances take up the
shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil
one; 17and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is
the word of God, 18praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and
supplication.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome post man. Great perspective on an amazing story

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bring it, son! It makes me take a look at the men I call mentors. Picturing myself as the young armor-bearer, do I see them having that same faith and trust in God?

    emidess

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... Do I get to take any credit for the wisdom of you meager years?

    ReplyDelete